RTL Example Projects

Are there any example projects for using files with RTL with C#?

Specifically I’m looking for a cross platform way to open a text file and a binary file and read their contents into a string and a byte array respectively.

No example projects per se, but look at the File class, as well as Binary and (possibly), BinaryReader if you wanna do more intensive binary format parsing.

My personal (bit dated) https://github.com/dwarfland/d64 project does a lot of binary reading/parsing too; consider it a predecessor to the BinaryReader class, as it does stuff manually that BinaryReader encapsulates (which I created after I had to do similar stuff 3 more times elsewhere :wink:

1 Like

Thanks - that’s helpful.

Are you a retro computing fan too? I’ve got quite a collection of 1980s computers in my cellar, much to my wife’s annoyance.

1 Like

More aspirational ;). I still got my C128, and a couple years ago I got it into my head to read in all my old disks into .d64s because they probably wont last much longer (and so I can declutter and get rid of the physical floppies afterwards), and got a SD dongle to get the .d64s connected to the hardware, then; mostly to get a copy of the code I wrote back in the day ;).

I wrote the d64 parser because I liked none of the other tools for browsing the content. Haven’t dome much with it since (and also haven’t managed to actually look at hooking the C128 up again (aside form using it as a floppy) — will need to find a place that still sells an old-fashioned antenna cable, as my old monitor was DOA after the move (of not before).

2 Likes

I was more an of Amstrad CPC 464 fan than a Commodore fan but the 8-bit systems were so cool. Kind of like classic cars for nerds - you could really tinker with them.

I’ve heard good things about C64 Forever. Might be worth checking out.