Seriously Off-Topic: Derivation of Oxygene as a name?

Something I’m often asked by people when I mention Oxygene is “where does that name come from?”.

Typically followed by “It’s not the gas/element, ‘cos of that extra ‘e’. Is it something to do with the Jean Michel-Jarre album?”

I thought I remembered reading something somewhere that answered this question but I can’t find anything about it now. Any answers ? (not about the reason the name was changed, but specifically why Oxygene was chosen and why the “odd” spelling).

1 Like

I would rather say, RO picked it because you need it to live :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Oxygène, after the Jarre song/album, was the codename for Chrome 3.0. the initial name Chrome was a shortening of the original Adrenochrome, codename of v1, which is a Sisters song. it was followed by Floorshow (1.5, also Sisters) and Joyride (2.0, Roxette). when we decided to graciously give up the Chrome trademark, we chose to keep Oxygene, dropping the accent grave, as the new produc name for the 3.0 release. Echoes (Pink Floyd) was the codename for version 4, and when then Java entered the picture as second platform, Echoes stayed around as the name of the .NET platform.

2 Likes

Awesome, thanks Marc. I love that as well as being great products there is this sort of personality and character in their story as well. It speaks volumes about the passion involved behind the scenes. :slight_smile:

1 Like