Stability in Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition (Android)

I’m currently using Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition to do some basic Android and .Net development with RemObjects C# and Oxygene. For the most part it’s working very well with the exception of one continually recurring problem, the stability of Visual Studio when attempting Android app deployment/debugging.

After and a few deployments of apps to any of the physical development devices I’m trying to work with, the process begins to slow down. A few more deployments and it stops working entirely, with every attempt leading to Visual Studio going into its “Not Responding” mode and requiring the deploying machine to be rebooted before it will return to normal functioning again. I’ve tried the obvious things, like restarting VS, cleaning the project, rebooting the tablet/phone and so-forth and it definitely seems to be a problem with the deploying machine.

Does anyone else have experience of similar problems and has anyone found a solution/remedy/patch/fix/workaround/etc?

Owen.

This doesn’t sound familiar to me, especially not the part where restarting just VS doesn’t work. Does memory usage/cpu usage on your machine grow? If yes, what process (besides VS, since you say restarting that doesn’t help)?

I’m just watching it at the moment. Unfortunately the last lot of resets hasn’t fixed anything.

Memory usage is creeping up while it’s sat in the “Not Responding” state, about 100k per second. It’s still below 0.1% CPU usage though. VS is the only process whose memory usage is growing. I bet it’s building a log full of “Waiting for android device to respond…” messages.

Wondering now whether this is an artefact of the fact that it’s running on a virtual machine. The android devices are connected via USB and pass-through isn’t 100% reliable. That said, it’s been through so many restarts/resets/reconnects that I’m less convinced that’s the problem,

Going to leave this “Not Responding” while I send some e-mails, then will see whether it got anywhere before I play with some VM settings and give it another try.

Found a partial workaround:

• Shut down the android project.
  • Load a .net project and build/debug it (I used an empty RemObjects Oxygene project).
  • Shut that down and return the the android project.
  • The problem disappears for a while.

I’m a long way from being an expert with VS but it looks like something isn’t being cleared properly during the build process?

Hello. I can’t reproduce this issue. I’ve tryed next steps:

1. Open Android project, set BP
  2. Run on simulators
  3. Stop debugging and start debugging again
    I’ve tryed these steps 15 times in a row.