Strange MDAC exception

I have a 32-bit DA service running on an older Windows server. I was asked to move it to a newer server which I did this morning. it started up OK, but when I tried to use the service via a client app, I get a very strange exception:

both Service and client class lib are compiled as 32 bit in Elements Oxygene.

Latest DA/ROSDK

Alan

Hello

This seems like the OS misconfiguration.

What is the exact OS version was used on the old server and is used on the new one? (You can answer via support@ if you don’t want to disclose this info here).

it was running on an older Windows server 2003, and I’ve moved to to Windows Server 2012.

I’m currently installing some OS updates as I type this, which may or may not help.

This MDAC 2.12 version matches a SQL Server 7 :slight_smile:. (1999). Is this machine running on NT4?

Not really sure if the ODBC driver is found. The version returned is a ‘close to’. Sounds like close to not found.

MDAC does no longer work on 2008 and later machines. It’s called WDAC there and I can just be repaired but not via Program/Feature - System Components iirc. Or simpler the ODBC driver is simply not installed.

It is now called WDAC is is partially deprecated https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms810810.aspx#bkmk_CurrentMDAC_WDACComps

Also there were some breaking changes in Win 7 family so old ODBC driver might not work at all on new Win OSes

It think the error message says that the ODBC driver cannot be found. I somehow remember having read about this message years ago. I just mentioned this because people maybe try to install MDAC 2.8 and later. This lead them deeper into troubles.

The ODBC driver is installed and working and tested via the ODBC administrator. I know I have data access.

Just to make sure. The 32-bit ODBC driver? I think you already considered this.

The problem is not Data Abstract. The problem is that we’re using an outdated version of our database server and that needs to be upgraded to the current version. I’m accessing the data via the ADO.NET -> ODBC.NET -> database approach and since this old database version has an equally old ODBC driver, it is not compatible with the current version of ADO.NET. This is the company’s fault and something we need to address very soon.

Consider this issue closed.

1 Like

That’s bad.