“The generic Android device does not support deployment. Please select a device or emulator from the Crossbow popup.”, Fire can't find Android device

I have been able to compile an Android application only now I am getting a message dialog while running the application: “The generic Android device does not support deployment. Please select a device or emulator from the Crossbow popup.”

When I am looking in AVD Manager through Android Studio 3 I have the two virtual devices I added there only when I look in Fire or go try run the following from Terminal: /Users/xxx/Library/Android/sdk/platform-tools/adb devices -l I am getting the following result:

MacBook-Pro platform-tools # ./adb devices -l
List of devices attached

Do I need to do an extra step to get the devices listed somehow?

that’s expected, of course, if you try to run and deploy w/o a device. the “generic” device is there as a placeholder so you can select a build target, when no other devices are available.

Are they booted up?

two items to note here.

a) just in general, because this comes up often: Fire only sees what abd lists, since that’s it’s interface to the Android SDK. whenever something (emulator or real device) does not show in adb devices, then Fire can’t see it by design, and that issue needs to be sorted out between you, your system and the Android SDK; that’s not a bug/problem in Fire or the Elements toolchain. We can only go by what the Android SDK tells us is there, and this is the query point we use; everything below that is outside of our control.

b) adb devices should show connected real devices and booted Emulators. It will not show emulators you just have configured, but that aren’t running; you’ll need to start them yourself via the Virtual Device Manager.

1 Like

Oh sorry, it wasn’t clear to me that you need to run the emulator manually. Maybe consider improving the popup message to indicate this? Guess, last time I tried this I had one running :slight_smile:

Looks like I can query the available emulator devices via ./emulator -list-avds and then boot up the device like this ./emulator -avd Nexus_5X_API_27_x86

Thank you! All working now

Thanks, logged as bugs://79167

Logged an issue to look at maybe adding support for listing all unbooted emulators, and allowing to boot them up from within Fire.

bugs://79167 got closed with status fixed.

1 Like