Uninstall RemObjects.* from Visual Studio

I installed your product to test Swift, after a couple of days I decided to uninstall it (I only have a PC with 8GB of memrory, seems not sufficient).
After uninstalling via the control panel, I’m still greeted with a RemObject message when starting Visual Studio. So I deciced to delete every file and registry entry containing RemObjects and now I get an error when starting Visual Studio saying:
“The ‘?’ package did not load correctly” bla bla see ActivityLog.xml

The log entry is at the end of this message. Now, how do I solve this problem ?

159 2019/01/22 19:20:50.426 Error VisualStudio CreateInstance failed for package [{25CA51AA-7BC0-4C75-B2DE-AC65216F4F08}]Source: 'mscorlib' Description: Could not load file or assembly 'file:///c:\program files (x86)\microsoft visual studio\2017\community\common7\ide\extensions\remobjects software\everwood\1.0\RemObjects.Everwood.VisualStudio.dll' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'file:///c:\program files (x86)\microsoft visual studio\2017\community\common7\ide\extensions\remobjects software\everwood\1.0\RemObjects.Everwood.VisualStudio.dll' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. File name: 'file:///c:\program files (x86)\microsoft visual studio\2017\community\common7\ide\extensions\remobjects software\everwood\1.0\RemObjects.Everwood.VisualStudio.dll' at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly._nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks) at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks) at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoadAssemblyName(AssemblyName assemblyRef, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly reqAssembly, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks) at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoadFrom(String assemblyFile, Evidence securityEvidence, Byte[] hashValue, AssemblyHashAlgorithm hashAlgorithm, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks, StackCrawlMark& stackMark) at System.Reflection.Assembly.LoadFrom(String assemblyFile, Evidence securityEvidence) at System.Activator.CreateInstanceFromInternal(String assemblyFile, String typeName, Boolean ignoreCase, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes, Evidence securityInfo) at System.AppDomain.CreateInstanceFrom(String assemblyFile, String typeName) WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF. To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1. Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging. To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog]. {25CA51AA-7BC0-4C75-B2DE-AC65216F4F08}
80004005 - E_FAIL

Alain,

my apologies for the delay; I’ll make sure someone from the VS team gets back to you, tomorrow!

yours,
marc

Hello

From what I can understand you already deleted the folder c:\program files (x86)\microsoft visual studio\2017\community\common7\ide\extensions\remobjects software\

If so then most probably VS was not notified that it has to rescan the existing Extensions. To tell VS to do this please do the following:

• Close all VS 2017 instances
  • Go to the folder c:\program files (x86)\microsoft visual studio\2017\community\common7\ide\extensions
  • Copy file extensions.configurationchanged from this folder anywhere (f.e. to desktop)
  • Open file copy with Notepad and add a single space into it
  • Save the changed file
  • Copy the changed file back into c:\program files (x86)\microsoft visual studio\2017\community\common7\ide\extensions over the existing one
  • Start Visual Studio

It will rescan installed extension and won’t anymore try to load not existing ones

Hope that helps