Visual Studio 2019 : Target Framework only up to 4.0 when creating

When Creating a new project i can only select upto framework 4.0.
No problem it seems since it can be changed afterwards.

But, even after changing the target version to 4.5 in any way known to me :

1. Project properties
  2. Web.config
  3. directly in the .elements XML file

i still cant install the Firebird ADO.Net i desperately need for our new website…
In Nuget, even after all the necessary changes i get the following error :
Could not install package ‘FirebirdSql.Data.FirebirdClient 7.5.0’. You are trying to install this package into a project that targets ‘.NETFramework,Version=v4.0’, but the package does not contain any assembly references or content files that are compatible with that framework. For more information, contact the package author

Does anyone have an idea how to solve this, i’m probably missing something obvious, but
hey, i’m stuck :slight_smile:

I can see all the newer .NET versions in the New project dialog — what am I missing?

I can also add the Firebird NuGet package fine, afterwards.

Hi Marc,

First, thx for your fast reply :slight_smile:

When i select a console application type

I do see all versions just as in your screenshot.

However, if i select an ASP.NET Classic Webapplication type (as i need) i get only up to 4.0 (see attached pic)

Kind rgds,

Filip

Hmm, strange. @viktoriad, any idea?

Thanks, logged as bugs://84050

bugs://84050 got closed with status fixed.

The TargetFramework issue is reproduced and fixed. Thank you for the report.

Hi,

Although at first sight the issue seemed solved, somehow it isn’t.
I found a temporary workaround, strangely, an old project (VS2015 targetting .net 4.5)
works like a charm in VS2017 & VS2109

But when i create a new project (VS2107 & VS2019) i can now select the target framework
as would be expected. But somehow, somewhere behind the scenes the newly created project, targetting the right .net version, as seen in the project properties and .sln file, still reverts back to .net 4.0.

I’ve included screenshots highlighting the issue.

The main problem is the Firebird.net connector is crucial for me and it won’t install below .net 4.5

Kind regards,

Filip

Thanks, logged as bugs://84226

bugs://84226 got closed with status fixed.