VS Extension for VS Code?

Heyho,

would like to know, am I able to use your VS2015 Extension for VS-Code? I googled ofc, but didnt found something, MAYBE, you guys know this.

–Shpend

EDIT: the elements-extension

Nope. They’re completely different APIs.

Ok, thx for clarity, but sometimes, TBH, I dont know whats going on in the head of MS ?!

Why are they making tghe life unnessecarily harder for the developer and not letting them using something in their other toolchain, on a economical lvl, this would make much sense to me.

Indeed. every version of VS is a mess, being it regular, for Mac or Code, and all three are totally different.

That’s why we’re focusing on Fire & Water as the future.

2 Likes

TBH, I really was wondering at the beginning: “Why arent they just doing it for VS?” and now I know why…

1 Like

The fact that all of these things use the “Visual Studio” brand doesn’t mean that they are related product-wise or in any technical sense.

Nobody seriously thinks that “Visual Studio Online” should look like Visual Studio, right?
I mean, maybe when you hear the term for the first time you might think you’ll get the Visual Studio experience over Citrix-whatever from the browser. But then you learn it has nothing to do with it.

Same thing for Visual Studio Team Services.

And the same goes for Visual Studio Code. VS Code is a “clever” text editor that support plugins and has an affinity towards source code editing, building and debugging said source. That’s it. Besides using the same brand it has nothing to to with Visual Studio.

There’s no basis for feeling surprised since there’s nothing surprising here.

They’re not making anything difficult. On the contrary - they’re giving you more options. If you don’t like VS Code you don’t have to use it. And nobody’s forcing you to use VS Prime either. You’re move than welcome to use Visual Studio Build Tools / Visual C++ Build Tools. And if you don’t want to use the Microsoft toolchain at all you can even go with clang or even recent versions of Delphi if you don’t want C++ at all.

Visual Studio Code has different purpose, scope, system requirements, et cetera et cetera. Obviously it uses a different extensibility API. This is not only to be expected, but actually the only reasonable option. The same developer developing two IDEs with the same abilities and API makes no sense.

Seriously, I can barely fathom this. Somebody gives you a pretty decent, extensible, open source and free source code editor, and you’re complaining you’ve got too many options? #FirstWorldProblems indeed.

I bet you came from Microsoft itself :joy: :joy:

I will answer that later…

As a revenue-oriented-structure (company) you will obviously more profit from the Brand-association the customers have already, instead of breaking it.

Answered above

The thing is, when I start selling some product, lets call it, bicycle, and you came now to me and want to buy one, but I start telling you, that I am just selling some hotdogs, which I internally call “bicycle” and you just think: “WTF?! - why does this jerk call it such” so you will eventually never come to me anylonger.
Thats pretty much the same with VS, when you develop a defacto new product, call it differently, because the human mind is strongly binded on associations and when some associations have been once in a while established, its hard to break them, so for the majority of the people, they start associating VS-Code with VS200x. So its in their best interesst, to keep sync with their other VS-toolchains, and just besides all of that, I asked for an extension which, again, is in their best-interest to make possible from within VS-Code

Those options are not needed, when its not instantly usable, without useful extensions