Working with RhinoCAD (RhinoCommon SDK) via Hydra?

I’m an old Delphi guy - and I’m not an owner of any Remobjects product as of yet (although very interested) - and I have recently started using RhinoCAD quite extensively. I plan to make some plug-ins and also GrassHopper Components for Rhino (algorithmic approach to CAD which uses FBP like components and wire connectors to in-put and out-put ports, including script components for C#, VB.NET and IronPython). The API for Rhino is all .NET.

Now, I’m not a .NET guy and worse yet, I’m not even capable (right now) to judge if any of your products (Hydra?) would be compatible with their API called RhinoCommon SDK?

Q: Although I’m somewhat fluent with VB, the entire .NET eco system is shady for me. So my question is, can I benefit from using any of your products, and more specifically, use my old Delphi skills in programming against this API?

// Rolf

for using .NET dll in Delphi project, you need to create a special wrapper with Hydra for .NET.
this wrapper should transform .NET types into delphi compatible ones.
i.e. if original .NET dll uses List<Integer> , wrapper should use array of Integer, etc

It might also be an option to look at RemObjects Oxygene, which is our Pascal for .NET Solution.

Everything “near Delphi” is better. :slight_smile: So would Oxygene easily connect to the RhinoCommon SDK? And would it produce byte compatible results for making plug-ins that would load and execute within Rhino?

It’s embarrassing, but I know nada about .NET and how to interact with it. Inside Rhino I can do nasty things but it’s because I avoid the C#.NET stuff… (they have VBScript and PythonScript script components, so I get away with that).
Hint: If you guys would make an OxygeneScript component to Rhino & GrassHopper I would use that as well… I mean, now they only have three options… :

But scirpt is script, making compiled components is the next level for making my own applications that run on top of Rhino, which btw is an amazing platform, with GrassHopper making it even… well, more amazing.

// Rolf

PS. A hint about what GrassHopper on top of RhinoCAD really means, have a look at this project summary about the design and manufacturing of the the facades of Hotel Morpheus. ( The Morpheus Hotel: From Design to Production: Live Webinar on Vimeo )

I have no experience with RhinoCommon sdk, but the way it looks is that it’s uses plain .NET dlls, so yes, that ought to work. It won’t support scripting though.