WPF References not resolving

I have installed Water onto a fresh machine which has had no other IDEs installed and minimal other programs for that matter. I have created a new WPF application using oxygene and hit run. I immediately get 6 reference could not be resolved errors.

When I look in the relevant .net framework directory I note that all the non resolving assemblies are in a sub directory of the Framework.

Is this a bug or is there some way to point Water to look in the correct directory. Copying the offending assemblies into the parent directory lets them be resolved but I don’t really want to muddy the waters if I don’t have to.

Note that this is Build 10.0.0.2415

Curious, I have never see that folder structure before. I’m not sure why it’s different than on any of the systems we tested with, but 'll have to adjust EBuild’s reference resolving to accommodate for that, thanx for letting us know.

Out of curiosity, what version of Windows is this, and did you install the .NET framework manually or is this just the version of .NET as it came with it?

thanx!

Thanks, logged as bugs://82864

Marc,
I have the same structure on my Windows 10 PC, under the Windows root folder.
But I have the regular structure (all the assemblies in the same folder) under Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework.NETFramework\vxxx folder.

Hi Marc,

Windows 10 Home build 17134.829. This is the version of .net that came with it.
This is under the windows directory, no frameworks are available under program files.

And under Program Files (x86), on the folder I listed?

Ah, got it. What I think is there’s n actual development SDK for .NET installed, just the actual runtime used. by the OS itself, and that one uses the different structure. (MSBuild would probably not be able to resolve anything here; EBuild falls back to looking at the runtime folder, but apparently does not go far enough to look in all the nooks and crannies).

I’ll fix/adjust, but the proper solution will probably be to install the Windows SDK.

Just two XML files Redistlist\Assemblylist_4_client.xml
and RedistList\Assembylist_4_extended.xml

I guess I could have guessed that prerequisite but I assumed the installation would let me know if I was missing anything. I will install the SDKs now and see if that fixes it. Could I suggest that the docs are updated to note the requirement of the Windows SDKs being installed? I’m sure I can’t be the only one who would bulldoze in blindly.

K, please don’t touch anything on your system teamwork around, I’ll work on a fix and would like you to retest the new version “as is”.

Bugger that comment came 1 minute too late. But I do have a VM which is likewise hindered :slight_smile:

FYI, I installed Visual Studio on the first machine that was having problems and the assemblies now resolve as expected. I will leave my VM unaltered though so that I can test your fix.

1 Like

Fixed, i believe:

-> Task RemObjects.EBuild.Elements.ElementsResolveEchoesReferencesForTarget started for WPFApplication, Echoes.
                     Reference 'mscorlib' was resolved to 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\mscorlib.dll' for target 'Echoes'.
                     Reference 'PresentationCore' was resolved to 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\WPF\PresentationCore.dll' for target 'Echoes'.
                     Reference 'PresentationFramework' was resolved to 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\WPF\PresentationFramework.dll' for target 'Echoes'.
                     Reference 'ReachFramework' was resolved to 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\WPF\ReachFramework.dll' for target 'Echoes'.
                     Reference 'System' was resolved to 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\System.dll' for target 'Echoes'.
                     Reference 'System.Data' was resolved to 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\System.Data.dll' for target 'Echoes'.
                     Reference 'System.Drawing' was resolved to 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\System.Drawing.dll' for target 'Echoes'.
                     Reference 'System.Xaml' was resolved to 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\System.Xaml.dll' for target 'Echoes'.
                     Reference 'System.Xml' was resolved to 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\System.Xml.dll' for target 'Echoes'.
                     Reference 'UIAutomationProvider' was resolved to 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\WPF\UIAutomationProvider.dll' for target 'Echoes'.
                     Reference 'UIAutomationTypes' was resolved to 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\WPF\UIAutomationTypes.dll' for target 'Echoes'.
                     Reference 'WindowsBase' was resolved to 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\WPF\WindowsBase.dll' for target 'Echoes'.
                     Reference 'System.Core' was resolved to 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\System.Core.dll' for target 'Echoes'.
                     Reference 'System.Xml.Linq' was resolved to 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\System.Xml.Linq.dll' for target 'Echoes'.
                     Reference 'System.Data.DataSetExtensions' was resolved to 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\System.Data.DataSetExtensions.dll' for target 'Echoes'.
                     Reference 'Swift' was resolved to 'C:\Program Files (x86)\RemObjects Software\Elements\References\Echoes\NET\Swift.dll' via XML for target 'Echoes'.
                     Reference 'Echoes' was resolved to 'C:\Program Files (x86)\RemObjects Software\Elements\References\Echoes\NET\Echoes.dll' via XML for target 'Echoes'.
                  <- Task RemObjects.EBuild.Elements.ElementsResolveEchoesReferencesForTarget finished for WPFApplication, Echoes, took 22.0685s (22.0755s).

I can confirm it works at my end too without any additional IDEs or SDKs being present. Thanks Marc.

1 Like

Thanx, glad to hear!

bugs://82864 got closed with status fixed.