Can't choose "architecture" in project settings in VS

IDE: Visual Studio Community 2015
Version: Elements 10.0.0.2321
Target (If relevant): Net

Can’t choose “architecture” in project settings in VS.
MessageBox “PickerClass is missing for property Architectures” is shown if i try to do so…
Have to use Water to do this.

Thanks, logged as bugs://80905

bugs://80905 got closed with status fixed.

1 Like

Side Q re this: any specific reasons/holdbacks why you’re not using Water fully, yet?

1.) I think because I’m more of a “mouse user”, and Water is designed for pure keyboard operation, so I find it hard to get used to it.
2.) I still miss features like code-folding, a dark theme (that would be pretty important to me, I find very bright surfaces very exhausting), changing editor font, code-highlighting like in VS …
3.) Since I mainly maintain a few WinForms applications, I often need VS anyway, because of the designer …

I already like Water, a “small and lean” program, and look at it from time to time, but finally find myself in the VS again and again when I have to “get something done”.
Water is on the right track, I just miss a little bit “Klicki-Bunti”. :wink:

Interesting. I’d say I’m a big mouse (well, trackpad) user, myself. If anything, was afraid Fire/Water might not be keyboard-focused enough, because of that. What are you missing in terms of mouse usability, specifically?

Code Folding is, unfortunately, pretty far down on the list as it’ll require a lot of rearchitecting of the editor. Dark theme should be coming (back) fairly soon. You can change the font (unofficially) via the CodeEditorFont registry setting in the HKLM\Software\RemObjects\Elements\Water key. Just make sure to pick a Mono-spaced one, or you’ll not have fun :wink:

What are you missing for code highlighting, specifically?

:wink:

Maybe this is usable to add it to Water:
https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/823293/Windows-Form-Design-at-Run-Time

If I ever find a stretch of 3 months time where I have nothing else to do, and already did the same for WPF before, sure…

Ok, for WPF: https://github.com/icsharpcode/WpfDesigner

In .2323 VS 2017 crashes and restarts now, if i wan’t to choose the architecture… :unamused:
(Same if i double click “target framework”…)

Thanks, logged as bugs://80984

bugs://80984 got closed with status fixed.

Not for me… Current stable and latest preview still crash…

We can not reproduce this with .2339. Can you post the exact crash details?

Where do i find them?

I create a new project (WinForms.NET, Framework 4.7.2), open up properties…

Double click on Project/Architectures/(All)… And VS becomes unresponsive and vanishes.

Sometimes it remains vanished :wink:, sometimes it restartes itself.

Hmm, we cannot reproduce this here, VS2017 or VS2015. Sure you’re on .2339? Any details from the crash in Event Log?

Let’s have a look…

IDE: VS2017, 15.8.8 (But the problem has existed already on lower patchlevels of VS)

Tested today on my “machine” @home - Same problem with here (@work: Same OS, VS and Elements, same problem).

First test on .2337 → Crash
Second test on .2339 → Crash

Eventlogs from second test:

.NET Runtime, ID 1026, Error

Anwendung: devenv.exe
Frameworkversion: v4.0.30319
Beschreibung: Der Prozess wurde aufgrund einer unbehandelten Ausnahme beendet.
Ausnahmeinformationen: System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException
bei System.Reflection.RuntimeModule.GetTypes(System.Reflection.RuntimeModule)
bei System.Reflection.RuntimeModule.GetTypes()
bei System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes()
bei RemObjects.Elements.VisualStudio.PropertyPages.CustomColumn.GenerateClassFromString(System.String)
bei RemObjects.Elements.VisualStudio.PropertyPages.CustomColumn.GenerateEditingElement(System.Windows.Controls.DataGridCell, System.Object)
bei System.Windows.Controls.DataGridCell.BuildVisualTree()
bei System.Windows.Controls.DataGridCell.OnIsEditingChanged(Boolean)
bei System.Windows.Controls.DataGridCell.OnIsEditingChanged(System.Object, System.Windows.DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs)
bei System.Windows.DependencyObject.OnPropertyChanged(System.Windows.DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs)
bei System.Windows.FrameworkElement.OnPropertyChanged(System.Windows.DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs)
bei System.Windows.DependencyObject.NotifyPropertyChange(System.Windows.DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs)
bei System.Windows.DependencyObject.UpdateEffectiveValue(System.Windows.EntryIndex, System.Windows.DependencyProperty, System.Windows.PropertyMetadata, System.Windows.EffectiveValueEntry, System.Windows.EffectiveValueEntry ByRef, Boolean, Boolean, System.Windows.OperationType)
bei System.Windows.DependencyObject.SetValueCommon(System.Windows.DependencyProperty, System.Object, System.Windows.PropertyMetadata, Boolean, Boolean, System.Windows.OperationType, Boolean)
bei System.Windows.DependencyObject.SetValue(System.Windows.DependencyProperty, System.Object)
bei System.Windows.Controls.DataGridCell.BeginEdit(System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs)
bei System.Windows.Controls.DataGrid.OnExecutedBeginEdit(System.Windows.Input.ExecutedRoutedEventArgs)
bei System.Windows.Controls.DataGrid.OnExecutedBeginEdit(System.Object, System.Windows.Input.ExecutedRoutedEventArgs)
bei System.Windows.Input.CommandBinding.OnExecuted(System.Object, System.Windows.Input.ExecutedRoutedEventArgs)
bei System.Windows.Input.CommandManager.ExecuteCommandBinding(System.Object, System.Windows.Input.ExecutedRoutedEventArgs, System.Windows.Input.CommandBinding)
bei System.Windows.Input.CommandManager.FindCommandBinding(System.Object, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs, System.Windows.Input.ICommand, Boolean)
bei System.Windows.Input.CommandManager.OnExecuted(System.Object, System.Windows.Input.ExecutedRoutedEventArgs)
bei System.Windows.UIElement.OnExecutedThunk(System.Object, System.Windows.Input.ExecutedRoutedEventArgs)
bei System.Windows.Input.ExecutedRoutedEventArgs.InvokeEventHandler(System.Delegate, System.Object)
bei System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(System.Delegate, System.Object)
bei System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(System.Object, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs)
bei System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(System.Object, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs, Boolean)
bei System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(System.Windows.DependencyObject, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs)
bei System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEvent(System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs, Boolean)
bei System.Windows.Input.RoutedCommand.ExecuteImpl(System.Object, System.Windows.IInputElement, Boolean)
bei System.Windows.Input.RoutedCommand.Execute(System.Object, System.Windows.IInputElement)
bei System.Windows.Controls.DataGrid.BeginEdit(System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs)
bei System.Windows.Controls.DataGridCell.OnAnyMouseLeftButtonDown(System.Windows.Input.MouseButtonEventArgs)
bei System.Windows.Controls.DataGridCell.OnAnyMouseLeftButtonDownThunk(System.Object, System.Windows.Input.MouseButtonEventArgs)
bei System.Windows.Input.MouseButtonEventArgs.InvokeEventHandler(System.Delegate, System.Object)
bei System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(System.Delegate, System.Object)
bei System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(System.Object, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs)
bei System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(System.Object, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs, Boolean)
bei System.Windows.UIElement.ReRaiseEventAs(System.Windows.DependencyObject, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs, System.Windows.RoutedEvent)
bei System.Windows.UIElement.OnMouseDownThunk(System.Object, System.Windows.Input.MouseButtonEventArgs)
bei System.Windows.Input.MouseButtonEventArgs.InvokeEventHandler(System.Delegate, System.Object)
bei System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(System.Windows.DependencyObject, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs)
bei System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseTrustedEvent(System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs)
bei System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEvent(System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs, Boolean)
bei System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessStagingArea()
bei System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessInput(System.Windows.Input.InputEventArgs)
bei System.Windows.Input.InputProviderSite.ReportInput(System.Windows.Input.InputReport)
bei System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.ReportInput(IntPtr, System.Windows.Input.InputMode, Int32, System.Windows.Input.RawMouseActions, Int32, Int32, Int32)
bei System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.FilterMessage(IntPtr, MS.Internal.Interop.WindowMessage, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
bei System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.InputFilterMessage(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
bei MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
bei MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object)
bei System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
bei System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
bei System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
bei MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)

Next entry:

Application Error, ID 1000

Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: devenv.exe, Version: 15.8.28010.2048, Zeitstempel: 0x5bce1e2b
Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: KERNELBASE.dll, Version: 10.0.17134.319, Zeitstempel: 0x5ea0e53d
Ausnahmecode: 0xe0434352
Fehleroffset: 0x001117d2
ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0x157c
Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01d471cb464c8470
Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe
Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Berichtskennung: 4cf30ccf-7859-4643-af68-de435891b761
Vollständiger Name des fehlerhaften Pakets:
Anwendungs-ID, die relativ zum fehlerhaften Paket ist:

Windows Error Reporting, ID 1001, Level Information

Fehlerbucket 1876304377409093458, Typ 5
Ereignisname: CLR20r3
Antwort: Nicht verfügbar
CAB-Datei-ID: 0

Problemsignatur:
P1: devenv.exe
P2: 15.8.28010.2048
P3: 5bce1e2b
P4: mscorlib
P5: 4.7.3190.0
P6: 5b694665
P7: 4680
P8: 0
P9: 5O2O3I2ORVH4ZJ0NRQ1HQUEQ4B3YAU4U
P10:

Angefügte Dateien:
\?\C:\Users\Timm\AppData\Roaming\microsoft\visualstudio\15.0_6be89a44\activitylog.xml
\?\C:\Users\Timm\AppData\Local\microsoft\visualstudio\15.0_6be89a44\devenv.exe.config
\?\C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\devenv.isolation.ini
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER591F.tmp.dmp
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER6545.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER6556.tmp.xml
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER6563.tmp.csv
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER6593.tmp.txt

Diese Dateien befinden sich möglicherweise hier:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_devenv.exe_8b3b18ca1b90b25ce59460573dc83842f521d96_9b235e30_347569d8

Analysesymbol:
Es wird erneut nach einer Lösung gesucht: 0
Berichts-ID: 4cf30ccf-7859-4643-af68-de435891b761
Berichtstatus: 268435456
Bucket mit Hash: 0939685f982929d8da09f8e3e1fabf52
CAB-Datei-Guid: 0

Files mentioned in these log entry (Temp files were gone…)

AppCrash_devenv.exe_8b3b18ca1b90b25ce59460573dc83842f521d96_9b235e30_347569d8.zip (11.4 KB)
ActivityLog.zip (5.2 KB)

Did this help? Any news regarding this?

bugs://80984 got reopened.

None off us can reproduce this here. Maybe we’ll need to remote-debug this on your system — someone fro the VS team will get back to you regarding that.