Code-first server never compiles

IDE: Fire
Version: 10.0.0.2343
Target: .Net
Description: Code-first server never compiles, it is “generating resources” indefinitely (see screenshot). Fire finishes compilation if licenses.licx file is empty, but then the project doesn’t run because licenses are missing. It compiles and runs fine in VS 2017. Test project attached.

testServer.zip (345.3 KB)

Can you try clicking “redownload licenses” in the project pane, to see if that fixes it? That should force-redownload a new lic for both elements but also RO/DA.

I tried. It didn’t help.

Strange. I assume you do have an active RO/DA license for the version you are using, right? The only time I have seen this happen is when there’s no current license, and the licx compiler tries to redownload on its own but somehow fails (this part, the manual download should have worked around)… Can you send me your llicenses folder (via PM), and let me know what version of RO and Fire you are using? thanx!

My subscription expired in September and the last available RODA release at the time was .1377. So that’s what I’m using on Windows/VS2017. RODA installed in Fire appears to be .1375 which I assume is beta? I wanted to download RODA .1377 .fireplugin from RO website but it’s not available. I’m using Elements 10.0.0.2343 for Swift development.

Can you check what version of the RemObjects.SDK.*.dlls you have referenced? you see the full path in the build log, …/Fire/Plugins/…

If this is a non-beta version shipped before your subscription expires, it should work (and whatever hangs is a different bug). If it’s a beta version or newer than your expiration, it will not work w/o a new license (and that it hangs instead of giving you a proper error, that is a bug that I believe I just fixed — but that fix would just make it fail m ore cleanly for you ;).

First we need to establish which scenario it is…

Below is my project’s build log, it complains about RemObjects.DataAbstract.Server being 9.4.109.1375. However, if I open /Applications⁩/⁨Fire/⁨Contents/⁨Resources/Data Abstract⁩/References⁩/⁨Echoes⁩ in Windows VM and right-click on RemObjects.DataAbstract.Server.dll I get a different version (see screenshot).

/Applications/Fire.app/Contents/Resources/Mono/bin/mono /Applications/Fire.app/Contents/Resources/EBuild.exe "--setting:Elements:ToffeeSDKFolder=/Applications/Fire.app/Contents/Resources/Toffee SDKs" "--setting:Elements:IslandSDKFolder=/Applications/Fire.app/Contents/Resources/Island SDKs" "--setting:Elements:GothamXmlFolder=/Applications/Fire.app/Contents/Resources/Gotham XMLs" "--setting:Elements:ReferencePathsXMLFolder=/Applications/Fire.app/Contents/Resources/Reference Paths" --setting:Elements:IslandLddExePath=/Applications/Fire.app/Contents/Resources/lld --setting:Elements:ToffeeHelperExePath=/Applications/Fire.app/Contents/Resources/ToffeeHelper /Users/ndelic/Projects/StraightSync/StraightSync.Fire.sln --logger:fire --configuration:Debug --verbosity:normal --xml:/var/folders/63/jc0ykhrs5j108t389n4vrgf00000gn/T/StraightSync.Fire.fire.xml --rebuild --setting:TreatFixableErrorsAsWarnings=True
RemObjects EBuild. An open source build engine for Elements and beyond.
Copyright RemObjects Software 2016-2018. All Rights Reserved. Created by marc hoffman.
Version 10.0.0.2343 (develop) built on bajor, 20181108-182936. Commit f102cb8.

Project: <RemObjects.EBuild.Elements.EBuildElementsProject: StraightSync.Server>
   Deleted /Users/ndelic/Library/Application Support/RemObjects Software/EBuild/Obj/StraightSync.Server-FCED51B211DEFDF586F420A376A63E192A8B736C/Debug/Echoes
   Project: <RemObjects.EBuild.Elements.EBuildElementsProject: com.straightsync.android>
   Solution 'StraightSync.Fire' cleaned successfully.
   Reference 'mscorlib' was resolved to '/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/Current/lib/mono/4.0-api/mscorlib.dll' for target 'Echoes'.
   Reference 'System' was resolved to '/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/Current/lib/mono/4.0-api/System.dll' for target 'Echoes'.
   Reference 'System.Data' was resolved to '/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/Current/lib/mono/4.0-api/System.Data.dll' for target 'Echoes'.
   Reference 'System.Xml' was resolved to '/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/Current/lib/mono/4.0-api/System.Xml.dll' for target 'Echoes'.
   Reference 'System.Core' was resolved to '/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/Current/lib/mono/4.0-api/System.Core.dll' for target 'Echoes'.
   Reference 'System.Xml.Linq' was resolved to '/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/Current/lib/mono/4.0-api/System.Xml.Linq.dll' for target 'Echoes'.
   Reference 'System.Data.DataSetExtensions' was resolved to '/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/Current/lib/mono/4.0-api/System.Data.DataSetExtensions.dll' for target 'Echoes'.
   Reference 'Swift' was resolved to '/Applications/Fire.app/Contents/Resources/Reference Paths/Echoes/../../References/Echoes/Swift.dll' via XML for target 'Echoes'.
   Reference 'Echoes' was resolved to '/Applications/Fire.app/Contents/Resources/Reference Paths/Echoes/../../References/Echoes/NET/Echoes.dll' via XML for target 'Echoes'.
   Reference 'RemObjects.SDK' was resolved to '/Users/ndelic/Library/Application Support/RemObjects Software/Elements/Fire/Plugins/Remoting SDK.firepluginfolder/Echoes/RemObjects.SDK.dll' via XML for target 'Echoes'.
   Reference 'RemObjects.SDK.Server' was resolved to '/Users/ndelic/Library/Application Support/RemObjects Software/Elements/Fire/Plugins/Remoting SDK.firepluginfolder/Echoes/RemObjects.SDK.Server.dll' via XML for target 'Echoes'.
   Reference 'RemObjects.SDK.ZeroConf' was resolved to '/Users/ndelic/Library/Application Support/RemObjects Software/Elements/Fire/Plugins/Remoting SDK.firepluginfolder/Echoes/RemObjects.SDK.ZeroConf.dll' via XML for target 'Echoes'.
   Reference 'RemObjects.DataAbstract' was resolved to '/Users/ndelic/Library/Application Support/RemObjects Software/Elements/Fire/Plugins/Remoting SDK.firepluginfolder/Echoes/RemObjects.DataAbstract.dll' via XML for target 'Echoes'.
   Reference 'RemObjects.DataAbstract.Server' was resolved to '/Users/ndelic/Library/Application Support/RemObjects Software/Elements/Fire/Plugins/Remoting SDK.firepluginfolder/Echoes/RemObjects.DataAbstract.Server.dll' via XML for target 'Echoes'.
   RemObjects Elements (Oxygene, C#, Swift and Java) Compiler for .NET, Cocoa, Java and Island.
   Copyright 2003-2018 RemObjects Software, LLC. All rights reserved.

Source file: /Users/ndelic/Projects/StraightSync/Server.Fire/Properties/AssemblyInfo.swift
   Source file: /Users/ndelic/Projects/Swift/Shared/Projects/Server.Login.Fire/../../Source/Platform Specific/DotNet/DotNet.Authentication.swift
   Source file: /Users/ndelic/Projects/Swift/Shared/Projects/Server.Login.Fire/../../Source/MainService.Translations.swift
   Source file: /Users/ndelic/Projects/Swift/Shared/Projects/Server.Login.Fire/../../Source/LoginService.Types.swift
   Source file: /Users/ndelic/Projects/Swift/Shared/Projects/Server.Login.Fire/../../Source/LoginService.Translations.swift
   Source file: /Users/ndelic/Projects/Swift/Shared/Projects/Server.Login.Fire/../../Source/LoginService.DataAccess.swift
   Source file: /Users/ndelic/Projects/Swift/Shared/Projects/Server.Login.Fire/../../Source/Authentication.swift
   Source file: /Users/ndelic/Projects/Swift/Shared/Projects/Server.DataEntry.Fire/../../Source/Server Only/DA.Services.DataEntry.swift
   Source file: /Users/ndelic/Projects/Swift/Shared/Projects/Server.Login.Fire/../../Source/Server Only/LoginService.Authentication.swift
   Source file: /Users/ndelic/Projects/Swift/Shared/Projects/Server.Security.Fire/../../Source/Server Only/SecurityService.BusinessRules.TablePrivileges.swift
   Source file: /Users/ndelic/Projects/Swift/Shared/Projects/Server.Security.Fire/../../Source/Server Only/SecurityService.BusinessRules.swift
   Source file: /Users/ndelic/Projects/Swift/Shared/Projects/Server.Security.Fire/../../Source/SecurityService.Translations.swift
   Source file: /Users/ndelic/Projects/Swift/Shared/Projects/Server.Security.Fire/../../Source/SecurityService.DataAccess.swift
   Source file: /Users/ndelic/Projects/Swift/Shared/Projects/Server.Login.Fire/../../Source/Server Only/MainService.swift
   Source file: /Users/ndelic/Projects/Swift/Shared/Projects/Server.Login.Fire/../../Source/Server Only/LoginService.swift
   Source file: /Users/ndelic/Projects/Swift/Shared/Projects/Server.Login.Fire/../../Source/Server Only/LoginService.Extensions.swift
   Source file: /Users/ndelic/Projects/Swift/Shared/Projects/Server.Login.Fire/../../Source/Server Only/LoginService.BusinessRules.swift
   Source file: /Users/ndelic/Projects/Swift/Shared/Projects/Server.DataEntry.Fire/../../Source/Server Only/BusinessRules.swift
   Source file: /Users/ndelic/Projects/Swift/Shared/Projects/Server.Base.Fire/../../Source/Platform Specific/DotNet/DotNet.Atomic.swift
   Source file: /Users/ndelic/Projects/Swift/Shared/Projects/Server.Base.Fire/../../Source/DataAccess.swift
   Source file: /Users/ndelic/Projects/Swift/Shared/Projects/Server.Base.Fire/../../Source/AppInfo.swift
   Source file: /Users/ndelic/Projects/StraightSync/Shared/Projects/StraightSync.Common.Fire/../../StraightSync.AppInfo.swift
   Source file: /Users/ndelic/Projects/StraightSync/Server/SyncService.swift
   Source file: /Users/ndelic/Projects/StraightSync/Server/Program.swift
   Source file: /Users/ndelic/Projects/StraightSync/Server.Fire/Properties/Settings.Designer.swift
   Source file: /Users/ndelic/Projects/StraightSync/Server.Fire/Properties/Resources.Designer.swift
   Source file: /Users/ndelic/Projects/Swift/Shared/Projects/Server.Base.Fire/../../Source/Platform Specific/DotNet/DotNet.Translator.ConcurrentStorage.swift
   Source file: /Users/ndelic/Projects/Swift/Shared/Projects/Server.DataEntry.Fire/../../Source/Platform Specific/DotNet/DotNet.DataAccess.Extensions.swift
   Source file: /Users/ndelic/Projects/Swift/Shared/Projects/Server.Base.Fire/../../Source/Translator.swift
   Source file: /Users/ndelic/Projects/Swift/Shared/Projects/Server.Base.Fire/../../Source/Translations.swift
   Source file: /Users/ndelic/Projects/Swift/Shared/Projects/Server.Base.Fire/../../Source/Silver.Types.Extensions.swift
   Source file: /Users/ndelic/Projects/Swift/Shared/Projects/Server.Base.Fire/../../Source/Server Only/RO.Extensions.swift
   Source file: /Users/ndelic/Projects/Swift/Shared/Projects/Server.Base.Fire/../../Source/Server Only/DA.Services.swift
   Source file: /Users/ndelic/Projects/Swift/Shared/Projects/Server.Base.Fire/../../Source/Server Only/DA.Extensions.swift
   Source file: /Users/ndelic/Projects/Swift/Shared/Projects/Server.Base.Fire/../../Source/Platform Specific/DotNet/DotNet.Types.Extensions.swift
   Source file: /Users/ndelic/Projects/Swift/Shared/Projects/Server.Security.Fire/../../Source/Server Only/SecurityService.swift
   Resource file: /Users/ndelic/Library/Application Support/RemObjects Software/EBuild/Obj/StraightSync.Server-FCED51B211DEFDF586F420A376A63E192A8B736C/Debug/Echoes/res/Properties\Resources.resources
   Resource file: /Users/ndelic/Projects/StraightSync/Server.Fire/Properties/licenses.licx
   Resource file: /Users/ndelic/Projects/StraightSync/Server/StraightSync.daSchema
   Resource file: /Users/ndelic/Projects/StraightSync/Server/StraightSync.Server.daConnections
W: Reference "RemObjects.DataAbstract.Server, Version=9.4.109.1375, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=3df3cad1b7aa5098" was compiled with an older version of the compiler and should not be used with the current version
   Reference: /Applications/Fire.app/Contents/Resources/Reference Paths/Echoes/../../References/Echoes/NET/Echoes.dll
   Reference: /Applications/Fire.app/Contents/Resources/Reference Paths/Echoes/../../References/Echoes/Swift.dll
   Reference: /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/Current/lib/mono/4.0-api/mscorlib.dll
   Reference: /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/Current/lib/mono/4.0-api/System.Core.dll
   Reference: /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/Current/lib/mono/4.0-api/System.Data.DataSetExtensions.dll
   Reference: /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/Current/lib/mono/4.0-api/System.Data.dll
   Reference: /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/Current/lib/mono/4.0-api/System.dll
   Reference: /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/Current/lib/mono/4.0-api/System.Xml.dll
   Reference: /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/Current/lib/mono/4.0-api/System.Xml.Linq.dll
   Reference: /Users/ndelic/Library/Application Support/RemObjects Software/Elements/Fire/Plugins/Remoting SDK.firepluginfolder/Echoes/RemObjects.DataAbstract.dll
   Reference: /Users/ndelic/Library/Application Support/RemObjects Software/Elements/Fire/Plugins/Remoting SDK.firepluginfolder/Echoes/RemObjects.DataAbstract.Server.dll
   Reference: /Users/ndelic/Library/Application Support/RemObjects Software/Elements/Fire/Plugins/Remoting SDK.firepluginfolder/Echoes/RemObjects.SDK.dll
   Reference: /Users/ndelic/Library/Application Support/RemObjects Software/Elements/Fire/Plugins/Remoting SDK.firepluginfolder/Echoes/RemObjects.SDK.Server.dll
   Reference: /Users/ndelic/Library/Application Support/RemObjects Software/Elements/Fire/Plugins/Remoting SDK.firepluginfolder/Echoes/RemObjects.SDK.ZeroConf.dll
   Reference: /Applications/Fire.app/Contents/Resources/RemObjects.Elements.Cirrus.dll
   Generating resources: /Users/ndelic/Projects/StraightSync/Server.Fire/Properties/licenses.licx
   Android SDK found in '/Users/ndelic/Library/Android/sdk'.
   Android Build Tools found in '/Users/ndelic/Library/Android/sdk/build-tools/28.0.3'.
   Android ApkBuilder found in '/Users/ndelic/Library/Android/sdk/tools/lib/sdklib-26.0.0-dev.jar:/Users/ndelic/Library/Android/sdk/tools/lib/sdk-common-26.0.0-dev.jar:/Users/ndelic/Library/Android/sdk/tools/lib/common-26.0.0-dev.jar'.
   No exact platform version was specified for target 'Cooper-Android', using android-28.
   Reference 'android' was resolved to '/Users/ndelic/Library/Android/sdk/platforms/android-28/android.jar' for target 'Cooper-Android'.
   Reference 'swift' was resolved to '/Applications/Fire.app/Contents/Resources/Reference Paths/Cooper/../../References/Cooper/swift.jar' via XML for target 'Cooper-Android'.
   Reference 'cooper' was resolved to '/Applications/Fire.app/Contents/Resources/Reference Paths/Cooper/../../References/Cooper/cooper.jar' via XML for target 'Cooper-Android'.
   Found Android Manifest: '/Users/ndelic/Projects/StraightSync/Client/Android/com.straightsync.android/Properties/AndroidManifest.android-xml'.
   Android build version is '28'.
   Android manifest file is '/Users/ndelic/Projects/StraightSync/Client/Android/com.straightsync.android/Properties/AndroidManifest.android-xml'.
   RemObjects Elements (Oxygene, C#, Swift and Java) Compiler for .NET, Cocoa, Java and Island.
   Copyright 2003-2018 RemObjects Software, LLC. All rights reserved.

Source file: /Users/ndelic/Projects/StraightSync/Client/Android/com.straightsync.android/MainActivity.swift
   Source file: /Users/ndelic/Library/Application Support/RemObjects Software/EBuild/Obj/com.straightsync.android-EEB9D76B8DF9CDC04A0966E071CE31204EF997E9/Debug/Cooper-Android/r/R.java
   Reference: /Applications/Fire.app/Contents/Resources/Reference Paths/Cooper/../../References/Cooper/cooper.jar
   Reference: /Applications/Fire.app/Contents/Resources/Reference Paths/Cooper/../../References/Cooper/swift.jar
   Reference: /Users/ndelic/Library/Android/sdk/platforms/android-28/android.jar
   Solution 'StraightSync.Fire' built successfully.

Key is:

Reference 'RemObjects.SDK' was resolved to '/Users/ndelic/Library/Application Support/RemObjects Software/Elements/Fire/Plugins/Remoting SDK.firepluginfolder/Echoes/RemObjects.SDK.dll' via XML for target 'Echoes'.
   Reference 'RemObjects.SDK.Server' was resolved to '/Users/ndelic/Library/Application Support/RemObjects Software/Elements/Fire/Plugins/Remoting SDK.firepluginfolder/Echoes/RemObjects.SDK.Server.dll' via XML for target 'Echoes'.
   Reference 'RemObjects.SDK.ZeroConf' was resolved to '/Users/ndelic/Library/Application Support/RemObjects Software/Elements/Fire/Plugins/Remoting SDK.firepluginfolder/Echoes/RemObjects.SDK.ZeroConf.dll' via XML for target 'Echoes'.
   Reference 'RemObjects.DataAbstract' was resolved to '/Users/ndelic/Library/Application Support/RemObjects Software/Elements/Fire/Plugins/Remoting SDK.firepluginfolder/Echoes/RemObjects.DataAbstract.dll' via XML for target 'Echoes'.
   Reference 'RemObjects.DataAbstract.Server' was resolved to '/Users/ndelic/Library/Application Support/RemObjects Software/Elements/Fire/Plugins/Remoting SDK.firepluginfolder/Echoes/RemObjects.DataAbstract.Server.dll' via XML for target 'Echoes'.

what versions do those files have?

that’s normal. Fire includes the latest build internally. But that’s not what it’s using in the build as far as I can tell… It’s using the ones in /Users/ndelic/Library/Application Support/RemObjects Software/Elements/Fire/Plugins/Remoting SDK.firepluginfolder/Echoes.

Where can I see the versions then?

I’m not sure if Mono has a way to show that, you might need to copy em over to Windows… :frowning:

via https://stackoverflow.com/questions/3037008/assembly-version-from-command-line:

monodis --assembly MyAssembly.dll

find . -name MyAssembly.dll -exec monodis --assembly {} ';' | grep Version 

This Terminal screenshot is for RemObjects.DataAbstract.Server.dll, and version is exactly the same as Windows shows it if I open Fire folder in VM. The same goes for other files. If this is not enough, can I email you the files from my /Applications/Fire.app package? In the meantime, how can I get the .1377 .fireplugin?

Ok, so to be clear, the dll in FirePlugins, the one your references, is 9.5, which your license does not cover? If so, then it’s expected that this doesn’t not work (but the next build will fix this to not hang and give a p[roper error, instead). You need to install a version of RO/DA covered by your license (ie 9.4, in your case) [or, of course, renew :star_struck:)

Again, those files in expect to be 9.5, and that should be fine. What matters are th files in /Users/ndelic/Library/Application Support/RemObjects Software/Elements/Fire/Plugins/Remoting SDK.firepluginfolder/Echoes. That’s what your project uses. The one inside Fire don’t matter.

I would very much like to renew but I can’t afford it right now. Could you please make RODA for Fire .1377 (the last release before my subscription expired) available for download?

Should be there at https://www.remobjects.com/portal/downloads/stable/da.aspx?file=RemObjects%20Data%20Abstract%20for%20Fire%20-%209.4.109.1377.fireplugin ?

I’m afraid not. See at the bottom of screenshot.

Hmm, curious. I can reproduce this, when I log in as your account. Very strange, seems to be a bug on the download page, I’ll investigate that tomorrow. Meanwhile, I’ve uploaded it to your Personal Downloads — my apologies for this :(.

Something still isn’t quite right. Can’t see anything in Personal Downloads.

Odd, I see it in your account… can you refresh?

I found it and installed it but the problem still persists, compiling is stuck on “generating resources”. I checked RODA version in /Library/Application Support⁩/RemObjects Software⁩/Elements/Fire/Plugins/Remoting SDK.firepluginfolder/Echoes, it’s correct -> .1377