Code-first server never compiles

Even when I stop compilation and close Fire, mono-sgen is running at 99% CPU all the time.

ok. i’ll have to defer this to @ck or @antonk tomorrow, then :frowning:

Could you try to create a new empty RO SDK project and build it?

I did. Result is the same, stuck at generating licenses. Created project attached.

testROServer.zip (61.9 KB)

There’s a couple more things I’d like to try, to see ion we can narrow down whyn this is happening. Separate from that, of course the main goal is to get you functional again, so I’ll send you a license extension via PM that should get you past this until we found a proper solution.

What’s weird is that for some season I cannot explain, it seems to be using a newer version of RO/DA thats embedded in Fire to try and generate the licenses, not the (correct) one that your project references. Oddly I cannot reproduce this here — I just created the opposite scenario here (a newer ro/da build installed locally, which I don’t have license for (and which fixes the hang) and it cleanly fails on using that version, not the one in Fire :(.

There’s two things I’d like to try. actually, three:

a) can you turn on “Extreme” logging and do a rebuild? this should emit a massive amount of info, including all details as to what .dlls mono loads into memory, and why and wherefrom. I’m hoping that gives us some extra insight.
b) can you try deleting ANY occurrence (Fire.App/Contents/Resources/Data Abstract/) of ROSDK and DA .dlls inside the Fire bundle (so the only copies on disk remain your “good” install of 9.4, and then do a rebuild.

finally

c) I’ll send you a new copy of Fire in a bit that contains the new RO/DA with the hang fixed. I’d be curious to see if that still hangs (in which case this is a totally different bug), or if that gives you a clean error message (in which case we know that the problem is it’s loading the wrong .dlls.)

Thanx! and my sincerest apologies about this whole thing and that it continues to be so difficult to narrow tis down :frowning:

In order to reproduce the problem, have you tried to login into Fire .2343 with my username? Because I remember there were some issues with my account when I renewed in September 2017.

Not specifically, but I have otherwise reconstructed the exact same scenario — for me, it’s using the exact .dlls that the project builds against to generate the license :(.

a.) How do I turn on extreme logging?

b.) I’m sorry but I don’t quite understand, what are the locations where I have to delete RODA and what should remain?

for one, do this after you did the run with extreme logging. Inside Fire, delete Fire.App/Contents/Resources/Data Abstract/References.

The extreme log (send me the whole thing) should have stuff ike

Mono: Assembly Loader probing location: '/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/5.16.0/lib/mono/gac/RemObjects.SDK.Server/9.5.0.1398__3df3cad1b7aa5098/RemObjects.SDK.Server.dll'.
Mono: Assembly Loader probing location: '/Users/mh/Code/Elements/Bin/RemObjects.SDK.Server.dll'.
Mono: Assembly Loader probing location: '/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/5.16.0/lib/RemObjects.SDK.Server.dll'.
Mono: Assembly Loader probing location: '/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/5.16.0/lib/mono/4.5//Facades/RemObjects.SDK.Server.dll'.
Mono: Assembly Loader probing location: '/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/5.16.0/lib/mono/gac/RemObjects.SDK.Server/9.5.0.1398__3df3cad1b7aa5098/RemObjects.SDK.Server.exe'.
Mono: Assembly Loader probing location: '/Users/mh/Code/Elements/Bin/RemObjects.SDK.Server.exe'.
Mono: Assembly Loader probing location: '/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/5.16.0/lib/RemObjects.SDK.Server.exe'.
Mono: Assembly Loader probing location: '/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/5.16.0/lib/mono/4.5//Facades/RemObjects.SDK.Server.exe'.
Mono: Unloading image /Users/mh/bin/RemObjects Data Abstract - Mac Zip Distro - lockdown-20181127-123835 - 9.5.0.1398/Echoes/RemObjects.SDK.Server.dll [0x7f82d0b70a00].
Mono: Assembly Loader probing location: '/Users/mh/bin/RemObjects Data Abstract - Mac Zip Distro - lockdown-20181127-123835 - 9.5.0.1398/Echoes/RemObjects.SDK.Server.dll'.
Mono: Image addref RemObjects.SDK.Server[0x7f82d187e870] (asmctx LOADFROM) -> /Users/mh/bin/RemObjects Data Abstract - Mac Zip Distro - lockdown-20181127-123835 - 9.5.0.1398/Echoes/RemObjects.SDK.Server.dll[0x7f82d0b70a00]: 2
Mono: Prepared to set up assembly 'RemObjects.SDK.Server' (/Users/mh/bin/RemObjects Data Abstract - Mac Zip Distro - lockdown-20181127-123835 - 9.5.0.1398/Echoes/RemObjects.SDK.Server.dll)
Mono: Assembly RemObjects.SDK.Server[0x7f82d187e870] added to domain OxygeneCompilerRemoteAssembly, ref_count=1
Mono: Assembly Loader loaded assembly from location: '/Users/mh/bin/RemObjects Data Abstract - Mac Zip Distro - lockdown-20181127-123835 - 9.5.0.1398/Echoes/RemObjects.SDK.Server.dll'.

note how, for me, it ends uploading the dll from /Users/mh/bin/RemObjects Data Abstract - Mac Zip Distro - lockdown-20181127-123835 - 9.5.0.1398/Echoes/RemObjects.SDK.Server.dll, which s where I have mine installed (the equivalent to your /Users/ndelic/Library/Application Support/RemObjects Software/Elements/Fire/Plugins/Remoting SDK.firepluginfolder/Echoes/RemObjects.SDK.Server.dll. That’s what id expect to happen, and it’s the one that you have a license for and the licensing should not hang for.

the new Fire build for (c) is also uploading now (eta ~10mins).

New Fire is up now as well. might as well try that first, and then enable the Extreme as second step.

I installed Fire .2348 but nothing changed, the problem still persists. Extreme log attached. Please note that compile was still running when I copied the log so I couldn’t capture everything. I waited a few minutes after “Generating resources” showed up and then copied the log. In Activity Monitor mono-sgen was again at 99% CPU.

extremeLog.txt (780.5 KB)

No error, it still hangs? ok, then the problem is entirely unrelated to the licensing issue…

(all of this is assuming you HAVE a valid local license downloaded, ofc…

Mono: Assembly Loader probing location: '/Applications/Fire.app/Contents/Resources/Mono/lib/mono/gac/RemObjects.DataAbstract.Server/9.4.109.1377__3df3cad1b7aa5098/RemObjects.DataAbstract.Server.dll'.
Mono: Assembly Loader probing location: '/Applications/Fire.app/Contents/Resources/Mono/lib/RemObjects.DataAbstract.Server.dll'.
Mono: Assembly Loader probing location: '/Applications/Fire.app/Contents/Resources/Mono/lib/mono/4.5//Facades/RemObjects.DataAbstract.Server.dll'.
Mono: Assembly Loader probing location: '/Applications/Fire.app/Contents/Resources/Mono/lib/mono/gac/RemObjects.DataAbstract.Server/9.4.109.1377__3df3cad1b7aa5098/RemObjects.DataAbstract.Server.exe'.
Mono: Assembly Loader probing location: '/Applications/Fire.app/Contents/Resources/Mono/lib/RemObjects.DataAbstract.Server.exe'.
Mono: Assembly Loader probing location: '/Applications/Fire.app/Contents/Resources/Mono/lib/mono/4.5//Facades/RemObjects.DataAbstract.Server.exe'.
Mono: Unloading image /Users/ndelic/Library/Application Support/RemObjects Software/Elements/Fire/Plugins/Remoting SDK.firepluginfolder/Echoes/RemObjects.DataAbstract.Server.dll [0x7f852ea07e00].
Mono: Assembly Loader probing location: '/Users/ndelic/Library/Application Support/RemObjects Software/Elements/Fire/Plugins/Remoting SDK.firepluginfolder/Echoes/RemObjects.DataAbstract.Server.dll'.
Mono: Image addref RemObjects.DataAbstract.Server[0x7f852fa75a20] -> /Users/ndelic/Library/Application Support/RemObjects Software/Elements/Fire/Plugins/Remoting SDK.firepluginfolder/Echoes/RemObjects.DataAbstract.Server.dll[0x7f852ea07e00]: 2
Mono: Prepared to set up assembly 'RemObjects.DataAbstract.Server' (/Users/ndelic/Library/Application Support/RemObjects Software/Elements/Fire/Plugins/Remoting SDK.firepluginfolder/Echoes/RemObjects.DataAbstract.Server.dll)

ok it’s definitely losing the right dll, yes. you’re like 500% sure that these dlls are the version covered by your local license file, right?

As a last test, can you grab the RO/DA.dll files from inside fire (same location where I asked you before to try and delete em), and use this tom REPLACE the ones in /Users/ndelic/Library/Application Support/RemObjects Software/Elements/Fire/Plugins/Remoting SDK.firepluginfolder/Echoes/? You’d now be building against the newer versions you don’;t have a license for (so that cannot work, but this also have my fix for the hang, so I’d like to see if we get the proper error message then.

If we don’t, and it still hangs: then it’s a completely unrelated hang; I might need to debug tis via TV on our computer.
if we do: then the dlls you used before were, in fact, still newer that your local license file, somehow.

Oh, also: when you do import the trial extension I sent you, I assume the issue goes away?, or does it persist then, too.

I imported the license you sent me by clicking my project on the left and then Import License File button on the right. However, I didn’t get any message that license was imported. The screen remained unchanged, it merely flicked a bit. I still have the Contribute and Re-download licensed buttons enabled. Is that ok?

Yes, Fire only displays he licenses relevant to Elements, it doesn’t check the status of RO/DA. What does the build say, still same? if you look into /Users/ndelic/Library/Application Support/RemObjects Software/Licenses, is the newly imported license there? (also, can you zip the whole folder up and PM it to me? thanx!)

Please do not post your license files publicly! You just got everything a free copy of all your products.

Ok,

E:                Error while processing licenses: System.ComponentModel.LicenseException: No valid license has been found for the type RemObjects.SDK.Server.ServerChannel

thats good. thats my fix for the hang, it means it now correctly fails on your license being expired. This also proves that before it was loading the same .dlls, from the same location:

only two explanations remain:

1. the files you had there before were newer than your license
  2. your local license is older than the files

With the license extension imported as well, now, what happens?

I’m sorry, I’m not thinking straight anymore. It’s 10PM and I’m behind computer since 7AM this morning, multitasking as we “speak”.

The last log was with new license imported, RODA 9.5.0.1398.