The new version of Crossbox (8.4.96.2053) still does not work

Do all developers using the latest version of Crossbox (8.4.96.2053) simulator works for them properly?

Someone has a MacMini and the latest version of Crossbox works?

Would I you can discuss your experience with the latest version of Crossbox?

I can’t say. I’d try deleting all Simulator storage/settings, so you can start completely fresh.

Side Q: does the Simulator work for you ok from Fire? Or do you get the same problem?

I haven’t heard anything to the contrary. Have i talked to every single one? no, of course not. But right now you are the only one reporting the problem, and it’s working fine in all our testing. Also, it’s working fine for you after you reset your Simulator

How I indicated in a previous message, the reset does not work every time, it is almost random.

At the moment we are not using Fire, but we can install for a test.

What is the best way of deleting all storage Simulator / settings?

I don’t know. I’m not Apple Support, am I?

Interestingly from Fire everything works correctly. :astonished:
Why is this happening?

Your guess is as good as mine.

What are the differences between the process of Crossbox and the process of Fire?
There must be differences, otherwise it has no explanation.

There’s not. Both perform the exact same steps:

• call “list devices” to check the status
  • shut down the sim, if already booted
  • call “list devices” to check the status, until it’s shut down

(those don’t happen for you according to your logs, which makes sense)

• call the Sim.app with the ID
  • call “list devices” to check the status, until it’s “booted”
  • call “install”, wait until that is done
  • call “launch”, wait until that is done and prints a PID
  • call “debugserver” with that PID

Fire the attaches to debugserver locally; CB sends the port # back to VS, and VS will attach.

in your case, at least according to your logs, its the “install” phase that never comes back. the code is pretty trivial:

public void deployAppAtPath(string appPath) toIOSSimulatorDevice(string deviceID) statusCallback(delegate void(string status) statusCallback) finishedCallback(delegate void(bool success) finishedCallback)
		{
			var args = "simctl install "+deviceID+" \""+appPath+"\"";
			statusCallback("Running "+Globals.Xcrun()+"" +args);
			ProcessHelper.Execute(Globals.Xcrun(), args, null, null, (line) => {
				statusCallback("simctl install: +"+line);
			}, (exitCode) => {
				statusCallback("[DEBUG] simctl install finished");  /// THIS should hit eventually, never does
				statusCallback("[DEBUG] simctl install exit code "+exitCode);
				if (exitCode == 0)
					statusCallback("App deployed ok.");
				else
					statusCallback("App failed to deploy.");
				finishedCallback(exitCode == 0);
			});
		}

one last thing we could try:

• reboot your mac
  • do the steps again

when the log shows its stuck on “install”, use “ps ax” in Terminal to see if install actual is running and does stay running? Just to rule out that it exits and CrossBox “somehow” magically misses that — which i cant imagine happening.

I attached output Terminal doing several times “ps ax” in various places in the process.
Before launching the application from Visual Studio.
After launch, when it shows the install command in output window.
After the final error that is displayed in Visual Studio.
Terminal.Log.txt (202.3 KB)

Tell me if you see something strange.

Another curious thing, which seems to be reproducible.
If I run an application on Fire, which works perfectly. Later when I launch applications from Visual Studio everything works correctly.

Maybe this is absolutely unrelated and has nothing to do with your problem as I have no clue what I’m talking about and not using Crossbox at all. :wink:
But are your VS Extensions up to date? I know I got very strange and wired problems a while ago with a PowerShell Tools Extension. It screwed things up at places I could not even imagine they had any relation.

I think this is not related. Since, in the last test I have done, is Fire which makes the problem no longer occurs, and Fire has nothing to do with Visual Studio, the problem I think is centralized in Crossbox and deadlines time response for Visual Studio. The old Crossbox had none of these problems and applications were launched from the same Visual Studio.
However, Visual Studio extensions are updated.
Thank you for your comments. :slight_smile:

Yeah, I just thought it might be because the problem does not exist in Fire but in VS and previous releases of Crossbox were using another API.
And when I had a problem with an extension, I also first blamed RemObjects, as I saw problems while debugging Oxygene code but in fact it had nothing to do with Oxygene at all.

Ok, odd. simctl install is running in the second log, and no longer in the 3rd. so it definitely terminates. yet, the VS log shows none if the messages that would show when CB detects the termination, e.g.

statusCallback("[DEBUG] simctl install finished");  /// THIS should hit eventually, never does
				statusCallback("[DEBUG] simctl install exit code "+exitCode);

very weird.

Can you check the log file (~/Library/logs/CrossBox iirc; i provided the path earlier) to see if that matches what you se in VS (just to rule out a CB/VS communication problem, which seems unlikely? is there any chance i TeamView or SSH onto your Mac at some point tomorrow, at a time when you’re around to laugh from VS at at the same time?

Except the old CrossBox would not work at all, with Xcode 8. again — this is now using a totally different API that what old CB did.

The old Crossbox had none of these problems and applications were launched from the same Visual Studio.

Except the old CrossBox would not work at all, with Xcode 8. again — this is now using a totally different API that what old CB did.

This comment was for Freddy Ferrari.

Can you check the log file (~/Library/logs/CrossBox iirc; i provided the
path earlier) to see if that matches what you se in VS (just to rule
out a CB/VS communication problem, which seems unlikely? is there any
chance i TeamView or SSH onto your Mac at some point tomorrow, at a time
when you’re around to laugh from VS at at the same time?

Yes, of course, we can use TeamViewer.

Can you check the log file (~/Library/logs/CrossBox iirc; i provided the path earlier)

The path “~/Library/logs/” I suppose it’s of the Mac.
If so, the folder ~/Library/logs/ of my Mac does not contains the file or folder Crossbox, it contains:
DiagnosticReports
TeamViewer
Xsam