When do I need a Mac? What specs are needed?

Suppose I start with the echoes platform using visual studio and the silver language. I write a program with a GUI, database, and “back end” components. Elements can take care of the backend using the supplied ‘sugar’ library for both running on Windows and OSX. But Remobjects philosophy is different from Java so I have to redact or port the Windows solution on the Mac (or have one linked using crosstalk) because that is the only way to access cocoa libraries for making the GUI native. How capable must the Mac be to do this? Can I use the $500 Mac mini with four G of memory, or do I need more than that? If I used the cheapest Mac as my principal home computer, I would not be happy with it; but is it good enough to do multi-platform work with Elements? Another consideration is using the Mac to develop with say, Fire IDE. Can Fire, Xcode, and whatever else is needed work satisfactorily with 4G of memory and a 5400 rpm mechanical drive? I know the five hundred dollar brand new mac mini is relatively slow, but would it work? If not, how much Mac do I need? I plan to use a KVM switch, so that is why I focus on the mac mini. One last question, does development for the iphone and ipad require more stringent specifications? I don’t do mobile but I like to think I might try it later.
thanks,

I have a mac mini at home with 8gigs. On that I do mobile development with Fire, I would say its doable.
I think if your wanting to be running xcode then the extra ram is important.

Two data points:

(a) i do all of my work on Fire, in Fire, my my 12" MacBook, which is, arguably, the most underpowered Mac you can buy. Fire runs awesomely on that (and the Fire project is huge, and really taxes Fire).
(b) i’ts 2017. any work on a computer with a 5400 rpm dive is not something i would wish upon my worst enemy.

for running CrossBox, that mac mini is gonna be fine. for using it actively, at all, it won’t be. even booting it up will be a chore. at the very least,. you will want something with a decent SSD. 'd look at the 12" MacBook, the 13": Air, or the 13" MacBook as lowest options for actually using the computer in a way you will not hate.

the requirements for macOS, iOS and tvOS really all are there same, WRT working from Windows (in Visual Studio, or later this year, from Water ;): you inly need to connect to the Mac via Crossbox to perform the linking (and, for iOS, code signing). And of course to run you apps for testing.

Xcode, btw, is unusable for production work on this 12" MacBook. anything with it is a chore. which really just goes to show how awesome Fire is :wink: